Sunday, February 10, 2013

Yogurt Flatbread


I've only recently begun my successful venture into the world of bread making. I mean, I've been trying to make bread for ages, but only within the last year have I actually managed to make something worth eating.

I don't have a Kitchen Aid mixer, which it seems everyone else on the planet expects someone attempting bread making to own. Hell, as you can see from the picture above, my kitchen counter isn't even entirely flat, it's tiled, and I'm not entirely sure my Ikea table could withstand the pressure, so even hand kneading is challenging, but these yogurt flatbreads from CookRepublic make it more than worth the effort.

They are so ridiculously versatile, I'm thinking these might become a common fixture in my kitchen. I made a delicious lunch of one of them by making a Breakfast Flatbread Pizza, and damn, it hit the spot.

The original recipe makes four flatbreads but I halved it down to two. For the full version, check out the original site or double the ingredients.

Yogurt Flatbread
(recipe from CookRepublic)  
Makes two  



1 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons greek yogurt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon dry yeast
pinch of salt
1/4 cup warm water
1 tablespoon olive oil


Combine all the ingredients except the olive oil in a bowl. Mix until it begins to come together, then knead until it forms a smooth ball.

Oil the bowl with the olive oil and return the dough to the bowl. Cover with a tea towel and proof for 30 minutes or until the dough has doubled in size.* 

Once the dough is doubled in size, knead in the olive oil covering the dough and any left in the bowl. Once the dough is smooth again, set back in the bowl and cover for another 30 minutes.

When the 30 minutes is up, divide the dough in two equal pieces and press, stretch and roll them flat until they are about 8 inches around.

Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat and cook the dough rounds, 2-3 minutes on each side or until it begins to brown. 
 

*As a side note, this is a step I always have trouble with. The dough never seemed to rise as much as it should, but here's a trick. If your kitchen is chilly, rest a wire cooling rack over a 9x13 cake pan. Rest the bowl with the dough in it on top of the cooling rack and pour a cup or two of boiling water into the cake pan. Cover it all with a tea towel to keep in the warmth and voila! A warm place for your dough to rise!

No comments:

Post a Comment