Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Fruit Nut and Chia Granola


Ever since I found out about Chia Seeds, I've been trying to find ways to incorporate them into my diet in a natural and tasty way. I've tried Chia Seed puddings and overnight oatmeals, and while they both were pretty delicious, they didn't seem like the kind of foods I could eat on a regular basis. 

But one day, while watching the Power Trip episode of Good Eats, I had a thought. I eat fiber bars just about every day for breakfast. If I made my own, I could include a healthy serving of Chia and fulfill at least that personal dietary goal.

I decided to try out making Alton Brown's granola bars, subbing the sunflower seeds for chia seeds, since I'm not a big fan of their crunchy shells. 

As bars, they weren't quite a success, but as granola, it tasted delicious. It didn't exactly stick together the way I had hoped it would but this form is even more diverse. I've had it sprinkled on top of yogurt and it is awesome. I also like to munch on it plain. 


Fruit Nut and Chia Granola
makes 8 servings
(adapted from Good Eats)


1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1/4 cup chia seeds
1/2 cup sliced or chopped almonds
1/4 wheat germ
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/2 cup dried blueberries


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8x13 baking pan.

Spread the oats, chia seeds, almonds and wheat germ out on a cookie sheet. Toast in the oven for 10 minutes, stirring every five minutes.

Drop the temperature of the oven to 300 degrees. In a small saucepan, heat the honey, sugar, butter, extract, and salt over medium heat until the brown sugar has completely dissolved, stirring with a heat resistant rubber spatula.

Pour the toasted dry ingredients into the 8x13 baking pan with the hot sugar mixture and the dried fruits. Using the spatula, stir all of the ingredients together until no dryness remains. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, stirring halfway through.

When the 25 minutes is up, pull out of the oven and cool completely on the pan. Package into airtight containers. It should keep for up to a week on the counter.

No comments:

Post a Comment