Saturday, February 23, 2013

Lemon Meringue Pie for Two


Lemon meringue is my leading man's favorite type of pie. It has everything to do with the texture. Fruit lumps, he likes to tell me, just get in the way of enjoying a pie. If every pie had a smooth gelatinous center, he'd like other pies just as much.

Personally I think he's crazy, but I suppose that's because I like pie in pretty much every size, shape and texture.


I've never made a lemon meringue pie before. Cherry is really more my bag, but since I have a sack of lemons in the fridge that I'm trying to use up, I figured I could try cooking up his favorite pie.

I didn't expect to be so lucky on my first shot, but man, this thing was good. So good it's already gone. As usual, I didn't want to make a whole flippin' 9 inch pie so I scaled it down to a size I figured wouldn't damage our diets.


Lemon Meringue Pie for Two
(recipe adapted from allrecipes.com)
  

1 half of a store bought (or homemade) pie crust
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice and the zest of one lemon
yellow food coloring (optional but I like my custard to be yellow yellow)
1 tablespoon butter
2 eggs, seperated into yokes and whites
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract



Pie Crust Prep

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Roll out the pie crust and lay into a greased 14 oz ramekin (or divide in two and lay in two 6 oz ramekins, though you might have a little extra custard). It doesn't have to be amazingly neat, but gently push the crust until it forms to all the edges. Using a fork, poke holes on the bottom of the crust and the sides. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes or until it begins to brown. Take out and set aside.

Drop the oven to 350 degrees.

Custard Prep

In a large saucepan, whisk together the 1/2 cup sugar, flour, cornstarch, salt, milk, lemon juice, zest, and a drop or two of yellow food coloring. Whisk over medium heat until the mixture begins to bubble.

Stir in the butter

Spoon a small amount of the hot sugar mixture into the egg yolks, beating vigorously. Repeat adding a small amount of hot to cold, going slowly to make sure the eggs don't scramble. Once about 1/2 cup of the hot mixture has been added to the egg yolks, pour the egg mixture back into the pot, stirring constantly. Cook until thickened and remove from heat.

Meringue Prep

In a metal or glass bowl, whisk the egg whites with an electic mixer until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Whip in the vanilla extract until thoroughly combined.

Putting it all together

Pour the custard into the blind baked pie shell. Gently spoon the meringue on top, spreading it all the way to the crust, sealing the custard in.

Place in the 350 degree oven for 10 minutes or until the meringue browns at it's edges.

Cool for at least an hour on the counter. Place in the fridge uncovered for the first three hours and after that, cover it gently with foil, being wary not to crush the meringue.

No comments:

Post a Comment