Friday, March 1, 2013

One Pot Mac and Cheese


Despite my somewhat improved skills in the kitchen, sometimes what I really want is just a simple bowl of macaroni and cheese. I think it's one of the few foods nobody really grows out of. After all, what's not to like? You got your cheese, you got your pasta, what more could you ask for? I suppose if you put it between two slices of bread you'd have all my favorite food groups in one.

Some macaroni recipes I've tried are on the fancier side, like this Gnocchi Mac and Cheese, or this Three Cheese Mac and Cheese. While they were both pretty tasty, they just were a little bit too much work. Sometimes I like a little extra effort in the kitchen, but apparently not when I'm making macaroni. 

That's where this recipe comes in. The whole thing is cooked up in one pot. No straining, no draining, no flour. Just pasta, milk and cheese, it's as easy as can be.

Is there some weird part of me that still prefers box macaroni to home made? ...Maybe. Maybe that's the part of me that is still a kid. But this is something fancy enough to impress company with barely more effort. 


One Pot Mac and Cheese
Serves two
(Recipe barely adapted from white on rice couple)


4 oz pasta (I used rotini)
2 cups milk
1 oz shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 oz goat cheese
1/2 oz shredded parmesan*
salt and pepper


In a saucepan, combine the pasta and the milk and bring to a simmer over medium heat, stirring frequently. Drop the heat and keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil over, stirring every few minutes. 

Cook for 10-15 minutes or until the noodles are tender and the milk has thickened to a sauce. Stir in the cheeses until everything is combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Garnish with a bit more shredded cheese and serve.

*The cheese is this recipe should equal about a cup and you can get as creative as you want with flavors. I like a little goat cheese in mine, but I've heard Asiago is good too. I suggest trying out combinations with your favorite cheeses.


No comments:

Post a Comment