Friday, January 25, 2013

Simple Caramel Sauce


Sometimes I want something sweet, but I don't want to have a bunch of it laying around forever. I don't think I'll have that problem with this caramel sauce.

Initially I made this stuff to rim the glasses of my Caramel Shots, but it's just too damn good to not eat with everything. Smeared on apples, drizzled over ice cream, this stuff couldn't get any better, and amazingly it was super easy to whip together.

I've tried my hand at caramel sauce before. I had forgotten about it until I opened up my Joy of Cooking book to the recipe I tried and saw my own handwriting telling me "not good, tasted like watery burnt sugar." 

Now I highly doubt it was the recipe's fault, but I don't think my skills have improved enough to reap any better success out of it, so I tried looking for fool-proof caramel sauce recipes online and I think I found it. 

It isn't exactly the kind of caramel I had in mind but it is delicious, and it definitely does not taste like watery burnt sugar which is a huge plus. 

The original called for vanilla, which I included in mine, but I highly suggest tasting it before adding it. I think I liked it better before I added that last ingredient, thought it is still very tasty. Also, I halved the original recipe. I probably don't need to tempt myself with a cup and a half of this stuff.


Simple Caramel Sauce
(recipe from Ree Drummond)
 yields 3/4 cup sauce


1/2 packed brown sugar
1/4 cup half and half (I used heavy cream)
2 tablespoons butter
pinch of salt
1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract (I would exclude this)


Whisk the brown sugar, cream, butter, and salt over medium low heat allowing the sugar to melt. Stir continuously as the mixture bubbles for about two minutes.

Stir in the vanilla (if you so desire) and remove from heat. Cool slightly before pouring into a jar or container. The sauce will thicken as it cools.

    
    

No comments:

Post a Comment