Sunday, January 13, 2013

Bacon Asparagus Pasta

 

These days I'm pretty into asparagus. Not too long ago, I wasn't too adventurous when it came to vegetables but in an attempt to eat healthier, I started exploring the world of green foods. It turns out asparagus is delicious.

It's light and crisp and matches perfectly with this creamy, bacon-y pasta dish. But then again, I would probably eat anything if it came with bacon.




The inspiration for this recipe comes from Val So Cal. She uses prosciutto in place of bacon. I've tried both but I like the intense bacon flavor in the recipe listed below. It also helped mask the vegetable flavor from my boyfriend who usually leaves a pile of greens at the bottom of his bowl. 


I also lightened the recipe up a bit. In theory I'm on a diet and therefore shouldn't be consuming more than a cup of heavy cream in any one meal, so I replaced some of it with whole milk. I don't notice the difference but feel free to experiment with half and half or just go all out with a cup of heavy cream. 

Pair this pasta with a small salad or a nice bread roll like we did and you got yourself a light, delicious meal.

Bacon Asparagus Pasta
recipe adapted from Val So Cal
(serves two)
 
4oz angel hair pasta (I used whole grain)
3 pieces of thick cut bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 lb asparagus, cut into one inch pieces
1 tablespoon olive oil
I clove of garlic, minced 
3/4 cup whole milk
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup Parmesan cheese (I used a mix of Parmesan and Goat Cheese)
salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes  


Cook pasta according to package directions.


In a large frying pan, saute asparagus with olive oil and garlic until tender. Pour in the milk, heavy cream, cheese, and seasonings to taste, heating until thickened. Stir frequently (about two minutes). 

Toss in the cooked pasta and serve sprinkled with more Parmesan.


No comments:

Post a Comment