Monday, June 3, 2013

Baked Cheddar Cheesy Straws


I've never tried to make anything like a cracker before and admittedly I was a little apprehensive to try out this recipe. After grating almost a whole cheese block and adding little more than a tiny bit of butter, flour and seasonings, I half expected to open the oven onto a gooey, cheesy mess.

But let me just say it right now, these were so easy and they turned out so tasty.

Not to mention they look pretty classy for a snack thrown together in less than half an hour. The red pepper flakes give them a surprising kick, but the spiciness was pleasant in my opinion. If you like things more mild, I suggest cutting down on the measurement.

I have a feeling I might be experimenting more with different flavors of cheeses and herbs but these were a tasty start.


Baked Cheddar Cheesy Straws
(recipe from Alexandra's Kitchen)


6 oz grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
4 tablespoons butter
3/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon milk


Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a food processor, combine the cheese, butter, flour and seasonings with short pulses. Process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and pour in the tablespoon of milk, pulsing until the dough comes together.

On a flat, lightly floured surface (I like to use the parchment paper I'm going to bake it on) roll out the dough into a rectangle using a lightly floured rolling pin. Roll it out evenly until the dough is about 1/8 inch thick.

Using a pizza cutter, slice the dough into thin strips, separating each slice so they won't stick together. Lay the parchment paper onto a baking sheet and bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes or until the edges are just beginning to brown. 

Allow to cool before serving.

The straws will keep in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to two days but taste best the day of being baked.


No comments:

Post a Comment