Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Cajun Seasoning Mix


It wasn't until very recently that I came to appreciate the complexity of Cajun flavoring. Growing up, spicy food was just about unheard of around the dinner table. The first time I tried Chipotle I thought my tongue would set on fire.

Now I'm no stranger to heat though I still like spicy to be a subtle hint of flavor instead of a completely overwhelming factor of the meal. I'm very glad my taste buds weren't burnt out while I was still young. I know a few too many people who have to douse their food in hot sauce to taste it.

This spice mix is just the right amount of heat and flavor. There is a slight spiciness to it but it's also has a nice herb-y flavor. 

My favorite use for this is my Lighter Cajun Chicken Pasta recipe, but its super versatile. Lately I've been considering mixing it into some burger meat for a bit of a twist on my standard hamburger seasoning.


Cajun Seasoning Mix
(Recipe slightly altered from allrecipes)


2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/4 teaspoons dried oregano
1 1/4 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes


Combine and store in an airtight container (I like a mason jar). 


No comments:

Post a Comment