Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese


I had never tasted squash until last Christmas when my sister made butternut squash raviolis with a brown butter sage sauce. I had no idea it was so tasty. As a side note now I am utterly hooked on squash ravioli.

It was my new interest in squash that made me particularly interested in this infographic from The Vegan Stoner. I altered it a bit considering I am not vegan and I love cheese, but it is a very similar premise. If you have any favorite pairing of spices with squash, it would be easy (and delicious) to throw in some of those as well.


Butternut Squash Mac and Cheese
(recipe inspired by The Vegan Stoner)
serves two


4 oz whole grain pasta
1 package of frozen squash puree, thawed in the microwave
1/4 cup grated Parmesan 
1 tablespoon half and half
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
salt and pepper


Cook pasta according to package direction. Drain and return to pot.

In a small skillet over medium heat, melt the butter or margarine (I like margarine for this because it's less likely to burn and I prefer the flavor). Keep it over medium heat as it bubbles and turn of the heat once it browns.

In a large bowl, stir together the squash puree, Parmesan, half and half, and the browned butter, as well as salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the cooked pasta and serve with a sprinkling of Parmesan.

No comments:

Post a Comment